Quick Facts of
- First NameMario Cuomo
- When Did Mari Cuomo Died?
Answer: Mario died on January 1, 2015, at the age of 82.
- What Was Reason For Cuomo’s Death? Mario Cuomo died of heart failure.
Answer: Mario Cuomo died of heart failure.
- Who Was Cuomo’s Wife & How Many Children He Had?
Answer: He was married to Matilda Cuomo until his death & was the father of 5 children with her.
Mario Cuomo, a late American politician was 52nd Governor of New York; he served for 3 terms from 1983 to 1994. Famous for his keynote speech address at 1984 Democratic National Convention, Cuomo, the St. John’s University School of Law graduate, formerly served in law firms before he stepped in politics as a member of the Democratic Party.
Cuomo was 57th Secretary of State of New York from January 1, 1975, to December 31, 1978, succeeding John Ghezzi. Later, he ran for Lieutenant Governor of New York & held the office from January 1, 1979, to December 31, 1982.
Born Mario Matthew Cuomo on June 15, 1932, the late American politician grew up in Briarwood of New York City. His father Andrea Cuomo and mother Immacolata were of Italian origin & ran a Kessler’s Grocery Store in South Jamaica, Queens.
Accomplishment As 52nd Governor Of New York
Known for his liberal views and public speeches, Mario Cuomo, having served for 3 terms as Governor, pushed for budget management, health care & education initiatives.
During his first term, Cuomo along with Democratic-controlled House of Representatives successfully stopped then-President Ronald Reagan’s administration from eliminating “federal income tax deductibility of state, local and property taxes.”
In his second term, under Mario’s leadership, the enactment of sweeping fiscal reforms for the State became successful. Furthermore, he began “Decade of the Child” initiative & “Rebuild NY” Transportation Bond Act; also, the New York State became the first to enact seat belt laws.
Cuomo’s leadership integrated both environmental protection and energy conservation goals. While appointing judges in the New York Court of Appeals, he included the first two female judges & the first African-American and Hispanic judges.
Retirement As New York Governor & Post-Career
After George Pataki succeeded him in the run for the 4th term in the Republican Revolution of 1994, Mario Cuomo retired from politics & began working as counsel at the New York law firm, Willkie Farr & Gallagher (1995- 2015 until his death).
Moreover, Cuomo served on the Advisory Council of the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission.
The author of 1975 influential political science book Forest Hills Diary: The Crisis of Low-income Housing, Mario, later wrote Reason to Believe in 1996 & also penned about his parents’ immigration struggle to the US in the narrative essay “Achieving the American Dream.”
Married Life & Children: His Family Is Called Political Family
Mario Cuomo was in a marital relationship with wife Matilda Cuomo (née Raffa) for over 6 decades; they married in 1954 & remained together until his death in 2015.
The late retired politician’s wife Matilda is a graduate of St. John’s University’s Teachers College; she is the founder of the non-profit Mentoring USA and 2017 inductee of National Women’s Hall of Fame. Moreover, she serves as lifelong advocate for women, children, and families.
Together Mario and Matilda welcomed 5 children: Margaret, Andrew, Maria, Madeline, and Christopher; all of them are grown-ups.
Children & Their Profession
- Margaret Cuomo– She was born on March 29, 1955, & is the eldest child of Mario & Matilda Cuomo. Margaret is a board-certified radiologist at North Shore University Hospital in Manhassetboard. Moreover, she is co-founder of the Italian Language Foundation (established in 2008).
Margaret currently lives with her second husband Howard Simon Maier & shares a daughter Marianna. With ex-husband husband Peter Perpignano, she became the mother to daughter Christina.
- Andrew Cuomo– Born on December 6, 1957, Andrew serves as the 56th governor of New York; he took the office on January 1, 2011, succeeding David Paterson. Formerly, he served as United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (1997-2001); New York State Attorney General (2007-2010).
With ex-wife Kerry Kennedy (1990- 2005), he is father to 3 children, twins: Cara & Mariah; and Michaela.
- Maria Cuomo Cole- The third child of Mario & Matilda Cuomo, Maria was born in 1960; she is a producer of social impact films at Cuomo Cole Productions and is chairwoman of the Board of HELP USA. She is married to New York-based fashion designer Kenneth Cole.
- Madeline Cuomo (born in 1964)– She is a graduate of Albany Law School & works as an attorney, specializing in matrimonial law.
- Christopher Cuomo– Born on August 9, 1970, he is the youngest child of Mario (late) & Matilda Cuomo. He is a TV journalist & famous as the presenter of Cuomo Prime Time. Formerly, Chris was a news anchor for Good Morning America & co-anchor for ABC’s 20/20.
Since 2001, he is in a martial relationship with Cristina Greeven Cuomo.
Illness & Death- Heart Failure
Mario Cuomo died on January 1, 2015, at his home in Manhattan, New York at the age of 82. Reportedly, the news of his demise came up just hours after his son Andrew worn into a second term as Governor of New York State.
The cause of his death was heart failure; Mario previously admitted to hospital in November 2014 after heart problems.
Cuomo’s wake held on January 5, 2015, & his funeral took place on January 6 at Saint Ignatius Loyola Church in Manhattan.
Quick Fact: According to Sicilian Mafia pentito Maurizio Avola’s statement in 2016, they had planned to assassinate Governor Cuomo on a visit to Italy in November 1992, using gunmen armed with assault rifles and explosives. However, the attack was called off as the security measures included 19 bodyguards & a bulletproof car.
Net Worth At The Time Of Death
In 2015, when Mario Cuomo died, he had a net worth of $10 million according to Celebrity Net Worth. He earned such hefty fortune through career in law & politics- notably, as the 52nd Governor of New York State for 3 terms.
Even though no reports on Cuomo’s will inheritance is out, possibly, his wife & children took share of his fortune.
Did you know? As of 2020, Mario’s son Andrew Cuomo, the current (56th) Governor of New York, earns a salary of $200,000-a-year.